AT THE SONOCHEMISTRY CENTRE AT COVENTRY UNIVERSITY
'The Home of Sound Science'
The Sonochemistry Centre in
Coventry University was established in 1994 it has achieved a position of
international excellence in a variety of applications of power ultrasound in
chemistry and processing technologies. Amongst these applications are:
Environmental Protection, Electrochemistry, Food Processing, Material Science
and Therapeutic Ultrasound.
· Chemical Synthesis new methods, green chemistry and catalysis
· Electrochemistry analysis, plating, synthesis
· Environmental Protection chemical and microbiological remediation of air, land and water
· Food Technology drying, mixing, preservation and extraction of raw materials from plants
· Materials Science nanoparticles, polymer science and technology
· Microbiology modification of cells and enzyme action
· Reactor Design and Scale-Up optimization of effects with respect to ultrasonic power delivery
· Therapeutic Ultrasound HIFU cancer treatment and drug delivery
Most of these topics have received UK and EU funding together with industrial sponsorships that have generated both high-quality research, review papers and textbooks, and new, safer and cost-effective chemical processes in Industry. We have carried out many projects worldwide for our clients, many of whom are household names (e.g. DEFRA, DTI, Unilever, Yorkshire Water) and implemented some new concepts and processes throughout Industry.
Background information on sonochemistry can be found in this website in the Introduction under the headings:
· General introduction to ultrasound and sonochemistry
· Cavitation – the driving force in sonochemistry
· Transducers – the devices which provide acoustic energy
General reading material can be found in the following texts:
Sonochemistry, by T.J.Mason, Oxford University Primer Series No 70, Oxford Science Publications, pp 92, 1999, ISBN 0 19 850371 7.
Applied Sonochemistry, by T.J.Mason and J.P.Lorimer, Wiley VCH (2002) ISBN 3-527-30205-0
Practical Sonochemistry, (2nd Edition) by T.J.Mason and D Peters, Ellis Horwood Publishers (2002) ISBN 1-898563-83-7.
Other publications from the group can be found within this website under:
· Advances in Sonochemistry a series of monographs